Florida Action for Minorities in Engineering:
Collaborative program with Miami Coral Park Senior High School Engineering Magnet Program
FLAME, is a joint program between Miami-Dade County Public Schools, M-DCPS, and FIU. Under the Center for Diversity and Student Success in Engineering and Computing (CD-SSEC), the program is designed for minority high school students and provides a unique educational experience in the field of Engineering.
FLAME engages students that are admitted to the Miami Coral Park Senior High School Engineering Magnet Program. The program exposes students to a challenging curriculum focused on hands-on applications and project-based learning. Additionally the program’s non-credit component, encourages students to participate in college-sponsored student organizations and competition teams, and provides individualized tutoring from undergraduate student mentors. Throughout the academic year, students will participate in industry focused workshops and attend lab tours that incorporate cybersecurity, big data, infrastructure and resilience, artificial intelligence, biomedical technologies, robotics, sensors and sensing, IoT and wireless communications, automotive and aerospace engineering, and 3D manufacturing.
As the research engine of the university, the College of Engineering and Computing’s, CEC, mission is to reach preeminence in the classroom, laboratory and industry. FLAME initiative educates the next generation of researchers and leaders in Engineering.
Ignite your Passion for Engineering
FLAME exposes high school students to fundamental core subjects that align to listed Majors & Degrees
Majors & Degrees
• Electrical Engineering
• Computer Engineering
• Interdisciplinary Engineering
• Internet of Things
• Civil Engineering
• Information Technology
• Environmental Engineering
During their senior year, eligible students will take dual enrollment courses during the Fall and Spring semester at the FIU College of Engineering and Computing. The courses listed below align to the curriculum that is part of the Miami Coral Park Senior High School Magnet program. Student grades earned through the FLAME program become a part of the student’s permanent college transcript.
- Be recommended by Miami Coral Park Senior High School counselor or Magnet program advisor.
- Have a 3.0 unweighted high school GPA
- Meet initial eligibility criteria indicators that align to Florida Department of Education
- Meet additional criteria set by FIU as the post-secondary institution.
- Maintain a 3.0 unweighted GPA in their high school academic work and earn a 3.0 or better in FIU college-level work, as confirmed by the school guidance counselor and/or dual enrollment coordinator.
- Comply with the FIU Student Code of Conduct.