Effective summer 2015 students must be able to place in MAC 2311 (Calculus I) or higher in order to declare their major into Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science (BS degree), Environmental Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. Students who desire to pursue these majors but are not able place in MAC 2311 (Calculus I) may be assigned to the Exploratory Physical Sciences and Engineering major and can declare major in engineering or computer science (BS degree) only after they meet this requirement. Students wishing to declare Electrical and Computer Engineering may do so after successfully completing MAC 2311 (Calculus I). Students who desire to pursue Computer Science BS degree but are not able to place in MAC 2311 (Calculus I) will be admitted into the Computer Science BA program. In addition, the student’s GPA must be 2.00 or higher.
Placement Requirements for MAC 2311 Calculus I, Effective Fall 2018:
(Minimum grade C or better)
- MAC 1105 (College Algebra)
- MAC 1147 (Pre Calculus Algebra and Trigonometry)
- MAC 1140 (Pre Calculus Algebra) + MAC 1114 (Trigonometry)
You will need to satisfy all the math pre-requisites listed in order to be fully admitted into any of the majors described above. Students wishing to declare Electrical and Computer Engineering may do so after successfully completing MAC 2311 (Calculus I). Once you meet these requirements, an academic advisor will assist you in admitting you to your selected major.
Student Wishing to Pursue Computer Science Degree Who Do Not Meet the Calculus I
I. First Time in College (FTIC) Students
Beginning in the summer of 2018, FIU adopted a new math placement model (MPM) which considers, among others, three key variables for predicting the highest course in which a student might be successful, including (1) unweighted overall high school GPA, (2) SAT Quantitative/ACT Math score, and (3) the difficulty of the highest level high school math course in which the student enrolled. To place in MAC 2311 (Calculus I) the student must have a MPM score of 505 or higher.
II. Dual Enrollment coursework
- MAC 1105 + MAC 1147 (or MAC 1140 Pre-Calculus Algebra + MAC 1114 Trigonometry with grade C or better
- MAC 2311: Grade C or better
III. Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
- Credit for MAC 2311: MAB or MBC Exams – score 3 or higher
IV. A Level (Cambridge AICE):
- Credit for MAC 2311: ‘Further Mathematics’ or ‘Mathematics’ Exams – score A Level.
V. IB (International Baccalaureate)
- Credit for MAC 2311: Mathematics Exam – score of 4 or higher
VI. CAPE (Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination)
- Pure Mathematics Unit 1 or Unit 2 with scores I, II, III, IV, or V
Once you have submitted your scores the University will review them and determine if you are eligible for placement in Calculus I or higher. For more information on AP, A Level, IB and CAPE equivalencies please go to https://transfer.fiu.edu/transfer-101/credit-by-exam-tables/
* If you are a transfer student i.e. you have previously attended other institutions of higher learning, you may be able to be admitted to your major if you have the following:
- Transfer credit equivalent to the math placement requirements listed above.
- Transfer credit equivalent for MAC 2311 Calculus I or higher.
- Through the test credits described above.
You must provide official transcripts/test results from each institution attended or agency for coursework or examinations to be considered for credit. Transcripts/results must be official, sealed and received by FIU’s Office of Admissions. For more information visit: http://undergrad.fiu.edu/transfer/credit-policy.html
You may need to provide course descriptions to verify transferability and equivalency as directed by your academic advisor. Upon verification, eligibility for admission into engineering and computer science majors will be determined and processed accordingly by the corresponding academic advisor.
If it is determined that the student cannot be placed in Calculus I the student may continue studies as an Exploratory Physical Sciences and Engineering major and will be able to declare major in engineering or computer science only after the listed requirements are met. In addition the student’s FIU GPA must be at least 2.0 to declare major in engineering or computer science.
Engineering Advising Center
10555 W. Flagler Street – EC 2620
Miami, FL 33174
Computer Science / IT Majors:
CIS Advising Center
11200 SW 8th Street – PG 6 Room 100
Miami, FL 33199