Lara Garcia won $10K for her wearable device startup

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at FIU continues to lead transformation and innovation within the engineering community. Computer engineers are the brains behind the hardware and software of computers. Our ABET-accredited program emphasizes engineering concepts and design in the varied and rapidly expanding field of computer engineering.

Health and fitness buff Lara Garcia, a Computer Engineering senior, was left frustrated as she trained for her first half-marathon in Yosemite.

“On top of spending months working on my physical endurance, I had to ensure my form was correct and my technique was on point to avoid any injuries,” says the computer engineering student, who is also a member of the Honors College. “It was during this grueling experience that I realized there had to be a better and more effective way to train.”

It is often said that necessity is the mother of invention, and Garcia’s months of physical training gave birth to the idea for DashOne, a wearable device that provides real-time feedback on a runner’s form and technique.

Garcia credits her time spent at StartUP FIU, the university’s dedicated innovation hub, with instilling a foundational knowledge of what entrepreneurship is all about. That consequently inspired her as she mulled her senior class project, a requirement for all College of Engineering seniors.

Read more at FIU News.