The College of Engineering & Computing (CEC) is proud of its students’ commitment to research, study, and accomplishments in the classroom and beyond. Meet undergraduate student, Amanda Perez with a strong future in engineering.

Name: Amanda Perez
Hometown: Miami, FL
Degree/Major: Mechanical Engineering
Undergraduate/Graduate: Undergraduate

Why did you choose FIU CEC?
I chose FIU CEC because I wanted to be close to home. I found CEC to offer so many things like tutoring, clubs, and a safe space to collaborate with other students.

Why did you choose your major?
I chose my major because there is so much you can do with mechanical engineering. You can be a part of different industries like automotive, aviation, space, HVAC, and so much more. You can also choose different aspects of engineering like design, manufacturing, product development, testing etc.

Did you always want to be an engineer?
When I was in middle school, I went to a women in engineering day at a science museum. I learned what engineering was, the different types of engineers and how to become one. Ever since then, I knew I wanted to be an engineer. I loved math and science ever since elementary school.

What are your plans after graduation?
I currently received a fellowship to attend graduate school for free with two internships. I am currently applying to graduate schools to receive my master’s degree. I also received an offer from the Ford Motor Company, so I have that to keep in mind as well.

What clubs, student organizations or extracurricular activities do you recommend or are you part of? Internships?
I highly recommend the Society of Professional Hispanic Engineers (SHPE). They are an organization that helps students with their resumes, elevator pitches, how to get internships, and host events to connect with industry.

What has been the most challenging thing you’ve experienced as an engineering student (so far)?
The most challenging thing I experienced is to balance schoolwork with extra-curricular, jobs and family life.

What has been the most rewarding thing you’ve experienced as an engineering student (so far)?
The most rewarding thing is the amazing connections I have created. CEC has an amazing sense of community. The students help each other, and the professors make sure the students have everything they need.

Any advice to prospective students thinking of majoring in engineering?
I think engineering is a great path to take. I would tell prospective engineering students to join a club, any club that sparks their interest. CEC has a club for any interest, cars, rockets ,planes, there is a group for you. I would also recommend trying to be a part of a research group, you will learn additional skills that you can use later.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received as a student?
The best advice I received as a student is to not go to school solely for the classes. Make sure you go to school for class but stay awhile. Study with your classmates, be a part of a club project, or join a research team.

If you could have lunch/dinner with a famous engineering pioneer, who would it be? Why?
If I can have dinner with a famous engineering pioneer, it would be Leonardo Da Vinci. Even when he had limits to his ideas, he conceptualized many inventions like the helicopter to scuba gear.

When you’re not being an engineering student, what do you like to do?
When I am not an engineering student, I like to lift weights at the gym, watch movies, and cook.

Additional News:
Learn about Amanda’s contribution to a seawater battery project which won first at Go Green North America.