Headshot of Naznin AkterName: Naznin Akter

Hometown: Barisal, Bangladesh

What degree are you working on? I am a doctoral candidate in the College of Engineering and Computing’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), from which I received a master’s degree in electrical engineering last year. I previously earned a bachelor’s as well as a master’s from the University of Dhaka in Bangladesh.

What is your volunteer position? I am working as a student-editor at the IEEE Photonics Society, where I am responsible for editing the society’s bimonthly online newsletter. My primary responsibility is to interview the society’s board of governors for a two-to-three-page article. I wrIte about peers in leadership positions, innovative research, photonics lab activities across the globe, student and researcher success, photonics chapters activities, awards, etc.I also help newsletter staff with other editorial duties.

How did you get the position? I received several travel awards from the society to attend IEEE conferences and that seeded a sense of responsibility in me. I decided that I needed to pay it forward. I volunteered at a luncheon activity and a conference, and eventually I interviewed with the society’s president. I truly enjoy my role as student-editor and am grateful to be writing for a prestigious professional newsletter.

Read more at FIU News.