Darryl Dickerson, an assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, is about to complete his first year as a Panther, having joined FIU in August 2019. He was drawn to the school because of its focus on both research and student success. “FIU is a high research institution,” he says. “At the same time, there is an emphasis on student success at all levels. That was part of my goal, to be part of a great intellectual environment while also working to ensure that students come in and have experiences that propel them to success.”

Dickerson didn’t come straight to engineering. As a high school student, he was actually set on being a physician. Talented in many areas, including math and science, one of his teachers told him he should consider pursuing engineering as a major due to his knack for the area. This idea was strengthened by the outreach efforts of visitors from the National Society of Black Engineers doing outreach. “I wanted to find ways to impact health, but I realized I could do that in a number of different ways.”

Read more at Advancement News.