Graduate Admission Requirements
Considering our program? You’ll need to meet the university requirements as well as the ones for our program (listed below). You must also have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited school.
If you’re an international student, you’ll need a degree from a school of higher learning authorized to grant degrees in your country.
The minimum requirements for admission into the Master of Science in Material Science and Engineering are:
- Completed Graduate Application and fee ($30). Apply Now
- Official transcripts from an accredited institution showing completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher, with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher (upper division)
- 3 Letters / Statement
- GRE exams are not required, unless you are applying for financial aid. For financial aid, must score a minimum of 143 verbal and 151 quantitative and 3.0 on the writing part of the examination. School Code 5206
- TOEFL scores of at least (550 paper based, 213 computer based or 80 internet based); or IELTS overall band of at least 6.5. School Code 5206
Send your application and related documents to:
Florida International University
College of Engineering and Computing
10555 West Flagler Street, EC 2430
Attn: Graduate Admissions, Dean’s Office
Miami, FL 33174-1630, USA
You’ll be informed of the final admission decision when the Graduate School and the Faculty Committee of the academic department have reviewed your file.
As a prerequisite to registration, Florida International University requires all students born after December 31, 1956 to present documented proof of immunity to measles (Rubeola) and German measles (Rubella).
In addition to meeting all the admission requirements of FIU and the academic program, international students must obtain a student visa to attend classes in the United States.
Apply early! Submit your application and supporting documents by the Priority Consideration deadline dates.
To claim in-state tuition, you must provide copies of two of the following documents showing Florida residency for at least the last 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester:
- Florida voter registration information
- Florida driver’s license or state ID
- Florida vehicle registration information
You may also submit one of the documents above, accompanied by copies of at least two of the following documents:
- Lease, rental or mortgage contract
- Letter from utility company (Electric, telephone, cable, etc.)
- Employment letter with current W-2 or W-4
- Bank letter (indicating activity in account for 12 consecutive months)
- Professional License
- Current Florida Public School contract
- In-state tuition receipt from another Florida State School (last 12 months)
- Active Duty military orders
- Warranty Deed
- Declaration of Domicile
You may take classes as a non-degree seeking student while you apply for admission. Up to 12 credits (four classes) may be applied to your degree if you’re accepted into the program.
Need help? Get in touch:
Associate Director for Graduate Studies
Graduate Admissions Coordinator