With FIU’s Wall of Wind (WoW) as a backdrop, FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell announced a new initiative by the Biden-Harris administration to modernize building codes, improve climate resilience and reduce energy costs. The announcement came on Wednesday – the first day of hurricane season.  
Nearly two out of every three communities in the United States have outdated building codes and, as a result, are vulnerable to climate impacts and higher energy costs. This initiative will help state, local, Tribal, and territorial governments adopt current building codes and standards, enabling communities to be more resilient to hurricanes, flooding, wildfires, and other extreme weather events that are intensifying due to climate change.  
“Resilience is a team sport, and us coming together in an event like this really demonstrates how when we work together, we can really make great things happen,” said Criswell. “I’d like to thank the university. I’ve been looking forward to this day since they told me about this Wall of Wind. I am so excited to be able to share this announcement today from such a great example of how our academia is really such a tremendous partner in our ability to advance resilience.” 

Read more at FIU News