Name:  Mariana Ontiveros

Hometown: Weston, Florida

What is your major? Mechanical engineering

Where did you intern? What did you do there? General Electric Aviation in Norwich, New York. My position was as an engineering intern in the new product development sector.

How did you get your internship? I got the internship at the SHPE National Convention in 2018. The SHPE National Convention, a yearly conference, is the country’s largest gathering of Hispanic STEM students and professionals. For me, the SHPE National Convention in 2018 was an unforgettable experience. I was able to meet other students and professionals from around the country who were not only willing to connect but also serve as a guide for the future.

What advice do you have for those beginning the internship process? To relax because it will be okay. They chose you to be an intern, which means they see potential in you. Don’t be scared to speak up and to ask for advice from the people working there. They are the best people to guide you toward what you would like to be doing once you become a full-time employee.

What projects did you work on? Throughout the internship, I worked on several projects that provided me with a full-on view of different positions within the engineering field. For the 3 months that I was at GE, I worked on:

Read more on FIU News.