FIU BME student donates bone marrow to California man

Janelle Cunningham

Janelle Cunningham was recently featured on NBC Channel 6 News on April 25, 2011.  As an FIU student and junior biomedical engineering major, the 22 year old has already played a major role in saving someone’s life.  She signed up with the national bone marrow program “Be The Match” and became a donor for a Californian bone marrow recipient with acute myeloid leukemia.  Over a year later, Janelle was able to meet her recipient at The City of Hope Cancer Center reunion ceremony in Los Angeles, CA.

Janelle is originally from Broward County and the newly elected FIU Chapter President of The National Society of Black Engineers and former treasurer.  She is also the former treasurer for FIU Black Female Development Circle.

  • http://www.khastv.com/news/family-healthcast/Florida-student-donates-bone-marrow-to-California-man-120909609.html

Also see

One Comment

  • Rebecca says:

    Janelle is my hero for the day! The Be The Match registry is in dire need of minority sign-ups. Only about 25% of registrants are of minority backgrounds.
    About 30% of all patients in need of a transplant are able to find a donor in their family. The other 70% must search the registry for a match. A patient is more likely to find a match from someone within their own racial and ethnic group (although this is not always the case).
    When my mother was ill, our family and friends were able to register over 200 people, but none of the million people on the registry was a match.
    I urge everyone to register. YOU could be the person who saves another’s life.

Leave a Reply

 
Happening now at Tech Station (PG6 - MMC) is Mango Hacks—an annual Hackathon at FIU that brings… via @FIU_CEC